When performing a MS Exchange server backup (any server type), the following error message is received in the backup report:
Error yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm CExBackup::backupService:HrESEBackupSetup: Error Number 0x50d
The message suggests that the Exchange VSS writer has detected that an earlier Exchange snapshot backup operation is in an unfinished state. Therefore, the current backup operation and all subsequent backup operations are unsuccessful.
To solve the problem you can perform one of the following action:
- If an earlier Exchange snapshot backup operation is in progress, wait for the backup operation to finish before you start the next Exchange snapshot backup operation.
- Each backup operation generates a set of events. Each of these events corresponds to a particular phase of the backup operation. The following events indicate that backup was canceled or aborted after PrepareBackup and before DoSnapshot:
Event ID 9840 is logged when a VSS backup operation fails in Exchange 2007.
You can resolve this issue by restarting Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. To restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
- Right-click the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, and then click Restart.
- Try to perform the backup operation that resulted in event ID 9840.
For more information see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910250